How to work with the course
4 курс, спеціальність «Філологія (німецька, французька., іспанська та англійська мови)».
Потижневий розклад дистанційного курсу
з дисципліни «Шкільний курс англійської мови та методика її викладання»
викладач – доцент Федічева Н.В.
is what you have
is what you give
So you’ve decided to be a teacher of English! Welcome to a profession that will guarantee you opportunities, challenges, joy, growth, and fulfillment.
This is a course on English teaching methodology. The goal of the course is to introduce students to some basic ideas, methods, approaches, and tools of teaching English as a foreign language.
The text is intended to be learnt and completed in two semesters as a four credit course.
I believe that this course will be interesting and useful for you.
I look forward to a productive work with you!
How to work with the course
This course consists of a General Glossary and 17 chapters. The Glossary is a list of linguistic and methodological concepts.
Each of the 17 chapters has the following components:
1. the title of the lecture
2. questions to think about
3. chapter outline
4. chapter goals
5. key terms
6. the text of the chapter (body)
7. recommended books and magazines
First of all carefully read the General Glossary. Some basic acquaintance with linguistic and methodological concepts would be of great help.
Next read the title of the chapter and the questions which follow. Don’t worry if you don’t know the answer. After you have answered the questions (or not) you will have some expectations about the text of the chapter.
Chapter outline will tell you what issues or problems will be looked at in the chapter.
Chapter goals will tell you what exactly you are supposed to know, to explain, to define, or describe after you have completed the chapter.
Then you will look at key terms. If you don’t know a word you should look it up in an English-English dictionary or check General Glossary.
After that you start reading the text of the chapter. Your reading is supposed to be close (thorough, careful, or intensive). You may want to reread the paragraph or the whole chapter again and again.
N.B.:Next look at chapter goals again and see if you have achieved them. After completing each chapter you are supposed to know, to explain, to define or describe something you have learned about in the chapter.
1. Give your own brief characteristics of ALM, TPR, Suggestopedia, The Silent Way, The Communicative Approach.
2. Think of classes you have recently had. Do any of the above terms describe the classes? Give specific examples.
3. Outline the main characteristics of methods used in teaching foreign languages in Ukrainian schools.
4. If you were forced to prioritize the principles of teaching English as a FL which five principles would you pick up to be at the top of your list.
5. What factors should be taking into account in teaching children, teens and adults?
6. Give examples of recognition and reproduction exercises (Rogova, pp. 108-110).
7. Prepare pronunciation drills for one of the lessons for:
· Junior stage
· Intermediate stage
· Senior stage
Show the difference in techniques of conducting the drill.
Завдання № 2
1. Analyze Rogova’s viewpoint on grammar teaching. Which of her rules for the teacher (pp. 140-143) do you consider justifiable in FLT in schools in Ukraine? Give your reasons.
2. Do you know any other viewpoints on grammar teaching? What are they?
3. Design a context of your own for introducing the meaning and use of the Past Continuous.
4. Design a context and presentation sequence which uses the students’ world rather than material from a textbook.
5. Write about the importance of dictionaries.
6. Look at any textbook. Find vocabulary exercises and say what aspect of vocabulary they are dealing with (meaning, word use, word formation, word grammar).
7. What words relating to the family would you teach to a group of elementary students? How could you teach them?
8. Prepare a lesson plan for teaching words of different types (7-10 words) at the stage of presentation. You can use any Pupil’s Book/Teacher’s Book you like.
9. Which of the following words you would not teach beginners? Why?
Orange table car pilot level book pocket boyfriend
Insight spaghetti angry conductor grammar context
Завдання № 3
1. Which do you think are the most useful criteria for choosing listening texts?
2. Are there any situations in which you would not use a lead-in-stage?
3. Choose a text for teaching listening comprehension. Give a detailed description of how you will follow the methodological model for the teaching of receptive skills.
4. Find a text that would be appropriate for the for the listening to confirm expectations type. Say how you would organize the activity. Design a chart.
5. Find a text that would be appropriate for listening for detail. Write about how you would organize the activity. Design questions for the second listening.
6. Find a reading text in any textbook for school pupils. How authentic is the text? How interesting and useful is it?
7. Find a reading text that would be appropriate for the communicative type of exercise. Say how you would organize the activity.
Завдання № 4
1. Think of any conversation you have had in the last two days. What was your purpose in that conversation, and what purpose did the other participant in the conversation have?
2. Take any piece of written English that explains how something works and then write down how you might explain the same thing orally to a friend. What differences would there be?
3. Design you own oral communicative activity for a beginners’ class based on the ideas in the Chapter 11.
4. Design your own oral consensus activity.
5. Take any simulation activity from the textbook that you are familiar with and write a procedure for using the activity. Mention the stages.
6. Design your own oral activity in which students have to give each other instructions.
7. Design your own written communicative activity for an elementary class based on the ideas in the Chapter 11.
8. Design you own symbols for the correction of written work.
9. Choose subjects for students to write about.
10. Choose subjects for students to investigate and write about. The end product is project.
11. What items would you include in a “code of conduct” for a class of nine-year-olds (fourteen-year-olds)? Make a list and then write how you would present the code to the class.
Завдання № 5
1. Take three activities from Chapter 11 and 12 and say what roles the teacher will be adopting for each activity and why.
2. Take the textbook you are familiar with and identify those activities which are intended for pairwork, groupwork and individual work.
3. When do you think the teacher should act as a controller? Why?
4. Can you think of any other roles the teacher might adopt in the classroom apart from the ones mentioned in the Chapter 15.
5. How much time do you think should be devoted to lockstep pairwork, groupwork and individual study?
6. Take any text for reading from the textbook that you are familiar with and create your own test.
7. Take any text for listening comprehension from the textbook that you are familiar with and create your own test.
8. Create your own vocabulary or grammar test.
9. Write about advantages of group work.
10. Write about advantages of pair work.
КМР 1 макс. 15 балів
· Завдання макс 10 балів (30)
· Конспекти макс.5 балів
Ітого 100 балів
КМР 2 макс. 25 балів
· Завдання № 5 макс. 10балів (20)
· Конспекти макс. 5 балів
Ітого 100 балів
Разом за два модулі макс. 200 балів