Exercise 4. Combine the sentences into one sentence using the infinitive
Model: I entered the RCA. I wanted to study law.
I entered the RCA to study law.
1. The countries have signed an agreement, they want to eliminate trade barriers.
2. They bought false passports, they wanted to immigrate illegally.
3. Customs officers carry out controlled deliveries, they want to break up smuggling operations.
4. Smugglers used a private airplane, they wanted to avoid border checks.
5. Many countries limit import, they protect home production.
6. The government is liberalizing laws, they want to promote free trade.
7. They smuggled a truckload of cigarettes, they wanted to make quick profit.
8. Customs officers try to detect fiscal fraud, their duty is to protect revenue.
9. Customs administrations wish to computerize their operations, they want to reduce clearance time.
10. Customs management communicates with trade community, they want to achieve compliance.
11.Drug smugglers use vast flow of people and cargo, they want to submerge themselves and their activities.
Exercise 5. Complete the sentences using different forms of the infinitive Translate into Russian.
1. The brokers are waiting ____ instructions. to give
2. The next vessel _____ was “Victoria”. to rummage
3. The trade environment seems ____ rapidly. to change
4. You’d better hurry. You will be sorry _____ the flight. to miss
5. It seems _____ ever since we arrived at the airport. to snow
6. Honesty is the first principle ____ when working to observe
with law enforcement bodies.
7. I hope ____ at the currency control department. to work
8. One more vehicle remained ____. to examine
9. Don’t talk much if you want people _____
to you. to listen
10. It is thoughtful of you _____ the plane
tickets in advance. to book
11. He complained that he was always
the last ___ . to inform
12. What I want is _____ in risk analysis. to engage
13. We expect laboratory analyses ______
to classify merchandise properly. to perform
14. They consider him _____ an expert in Arts. to be.