Exercise 1. Replace the following complex sentences by simple sentences with the Infinitive Construction.
a) Model: Nobody ever saw, as he was incompetent.
Nobody ever saw him be incompetent.
1. I heard as he explained how to classify merchandise properly.
2. I watched it when the customs officers used density meters to examine car tyres.
3. I didn’t hear as my flight was announced.
4. The inspector noticed that the declarant had left some documents on the counter.
5. Waiting for my turn I observed as other passengers stepped through metal detector.
b) Model: Will you, please, present your cash?
I want you to present your cash.
1. You must put the date and sign the form.
2. I don’t like it that you are late for work.
3. Park your truck over there.
4. Don’t leave the Customs Enclosure.
5. Show me the ship’s stores, please.
Exercise 2. Rewrite the sentences using Complex Object.
a) 1. She boarded the plane.
2. He was reading the Customs Code.
3. They were waiting in the arrival lounge.
4. The customs officer stamped the documents.
5. He paid the storage charges.
6. My colleagues were training dogs for
7. They were performing analyses of I saw it.
8. He sealed up the container.
9. The owner removed his goods
from the warehouse.
10. The vessel left the port.
b) 1. The customs officer explained the
reason why shipment was not
2. He was delivering a report on
3. My colleagues were discussing the I heard it.
problem of underеvaluation.
4. The driver answered the questions about
the changes in the route.
5. The passenger said that he had
nothing to declare.
6. They argued about the rate of tariff
to be applied.
7. They were talking about the
amendments to the law.
Exercise 3. Make sentences and translate them into Russian.
Exercise 4. Complete the sentences with the infinitives.
Omit particle “to” where necessary.
1. The customs officer made me _______ to present
some articles of my baggage for inspection.
2. The handler and his dog are expected to be
_________ a good team.
3. I heard the lady _____ she had to say
nothing to declare and saw her ______ to move
towards the green channel.
4. The official ordered the documents for to check
the cargo ____ thoroughly.
5. The officer-in-charge allowed the goods
_______ into the warehouse. to take
6. They won’t let us ______ the Customs
zone till our luggage is examined. to leave
7. The snowstorm made us ______ for
the flight call for hours. to wait
8. He wanted me ______ that he was carrying
no goods for commercial purposes. to believe
9. We expect you ______ the true value of
the exported objects of art. to establish
10. What made you _____ us? to deceive
11. The court declared the person _____
guilty of money laundering. to be