Упр. 239. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. Where is your luggage? — I (to leave) it at the station. I (to take) it tomorrow when Nick (to come) to help me. 2.1 (to read) about an hour when he (to come). 3. The play (not yet to begin) and the people (to talk) in the hall. 4. Yesterday I (to buy) a new pair of gloves, as I (to lose) the old ones. 5. We (to walk) in silence. He already (to tell) me all that (to be) interesting about himself, and I (to have) nothing to tell him. 6. The moon (not to rise) yet, and only two stars, like two distant lighthouses, (to shine) in the dark blue sky. 7. One night a little swallow (to fly) over the city. His friends (to fly) away to Egypt six weeks before, but he (to stay) behind. 8. What you (to do) these three months? 9. Our train starts late in the evening, so if you (to come) at seven o'clock, we still (to pack) our luggage. 10. When you (to see) him last? 11. I (to meet) him when he (to walk) across the park. 12. You ever (to act) on the stage? — Why, yes, that's what I (to do) for the last six years. 13. Don't enter the bedroom! The child (to sleep) there, and he always (to wake) up when somebody (to open) the door.
Упр. 240. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. What you (to do) when I (to come) in? 2. When I (to come) to his house, they (to tell) me that he (to leave) an hour before. 3. On checking up his answers he (to find) out that he (to make) several mistakes. 4. When I (to leave) home, the snow already (to stop), but a strong wind (to blow). 5. You (to read) this book? — Yes, I (to read) it. I (to think) it (to be) very interesting. 6. What the children (to do) now? — Oh, they (to play) the new table game which I (to buy) for them the day before yesterday. 7. They (to reach) the corner of the street by now and (to stand) at the bus stop. 8. After we (to walk) about two hours, we arrived at a picturesque glade covered with fresh grass.
9. We could not go out because it (to rain) hard since early morning. 10. She (to teach) at our school for twenty years now. 11. Ring me up as soon as you (to come) home. 12. He (to begin) to write his composition at three o'clock. It is already eleven, and he still (to write) it. He says he (to finish) it by twelve. 13. We (to help) our librarian to put the books in the right order for already three days, but we (to arrange) only half the books.
Упр. 241. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. The first person whom Andrew (to see) as he (to enter) was his old nurse. She (to sit) on the sofa. During the last five years she greatly (to change) and now (to look) a very old woman. 2. She is going to read the letter she just (to receive). 5. How long you (to wait) for me? I am really very sorry. 4. Yesterday I (to meet) a friend of mine whom I (not to see) for a long time. 5. Ring me up at eleven o'clock, I (not yet to sleep). 6. You (to be) late for the concert if you (not to take) a taxi. 7. The sun (to set) a long time ago, and it (to begin) to get really cold. 8. When I (to come) home yesterday, my sister already (to return) and (to sit) at the fireplace looking through some old photographs. 9. He (to smoke) three cigarettes and (to look) through all the books on the shelf, when at last he (to hear) his friend's steps approaching the door. 10. He just (to approach) the door, when she (to enter). 11. He (to write) the composition for three hours and he (to say) he soon (to finish) it as he (to think) over the conclusion now. 12. Hardly1 I (to go) out when I (to remember) that I (to forget) to take my umbrella. 13. Where is the baby? — The nurse (to put) it to bed. 14. He said he (to work) for a long time without achieving good results.
Упр. 242. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. When I (to come) to Pete's house last Sunday, he (to read) a new book. He (to say) he (to give) it to me soon. Today I (to take) it from him. Now I (to read) it. I (to finish) it by Friday. If you like, I (to give) it to you on Saturday when you (to come) to see me. 2. When will he come? We (to wait) for him for already half an hour. 3. On leaving the hall the students (to thank) the professor who (to deliver) the lecture. 4. We already (to cover) about ten miles when Peter, who (to look) out of the window for the last five or ten minutes, suddenly exclaimed: "Here is the station!" 5. When morning came, the storm already (to stop), but the snow still (to fall). 6. Yesterday by eight o'clock he (to finish) all his homework, and when I (to come) to his place at nine, he (to read). 7. I (to wait) for permission to go abroad for already three weeks, but I (not to receive) the visa yet. 8. Everybody (to be) at the door of the museum, but my friend (not yet to come). 9. We (to drink) tea when the telephone (to ring). 19. Johnny noticed that everybody (to look) at him, and he (to feel) shy. Ц. Light (to travel) more quickly than sound.
Упр. 243. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.