LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT. 4. Match each adjective from the text with its antonym:
4. Match each adjective from the text with its antonym:
1. mechanical a) unstable
2. external b) unimportant
3. unstable c) automatic
4. durable d) short
5. long e) internal
6. important f) following
7. previous g) stable
Match each word from the text with its synonym.
1. property a) shape
2. tool b) solidity
3. force c) characteristic
4. application d) power
5. form e) capacity
6. ability f) use
7. hardness g) instrument
6. Put these word combinations in the right order to make sentences:
1. All ductile materials / necessarily ductile / are malleable / are not / but all malleable materials /.
2. Hardnessis / and deformation / abrasive wear / to resist / indentation/the ability /.
3. Durabilityis / with time / tear and deterioration / to withstand wear / the ability /.
4. Plastic materials / less prone to / and are therefore durable / are generally / corrosive effects /.
5. Strengthis / of a material to / without breaking or / the ability / withstand force / permanently bending /.
6. Structures such as / tall building / a degree of elasticity / bridges and/must have /.
7. Hardness is / and saws / such as turning tools / the important property of / drills, files / cutting tools /.
7. Group the following words into three columns: nouns, adjectives and verbs. Some of them fit into more than one column.
Mechanical,property, material, react, subject, external, force, stress, load, area, strain, result, application, define, distortion, extension, compression, length, strength,elasticity,bent, flex, return, previous, form, remove, structure, bridge, tall, building, plasticity, ability, change, fracture, become, plastic, heat, extent, shape, call, malleability, ductility, undergo, cold, deformation, ductile, malleable, hardness,resist, abrasive, wear, indentation, important, tool, drill, file, saw, toughness, brittleness,brittle.
8. Read the clues and complete the crossword:
9. Listen to the text and answer the questions:
1. Where does the conversation take place?
2. What tool is being discussed?
3. Which materials can be used for its different parts?
4. What material is mentioned as expensive?
5. What material is mentioned as one of the hardest?
6. What requirements to the material do the engineers need?
7. Why it is important for the material of a tool to have a good degree of thermal stability?