Pre-listening match the words from the left column with their Ukrainian equivalents in the right column
2. When I was a kid I was _______________ in maths.
3. Things were _______________, It was all addition and subtraction, multiplication and division.
4. I knew my times tables _______________ my hand.
5. We had to _______________ algebra and geometry and lots of other stuff I can’t remember the names of. Suddenly.
6. I _______________ maths any more. I think there were a few reasons for this.
7. One was my maths teacher, another was because _______________ back of the class, and another was _______________.
8. _______________ when I was at university and loved that.
Discuss the following questions in small groups.
- What counting systems do you know?
- Analyse the advantages and disadvantages of each system.
12. Make a short presentation on one of the following topics: "Maya numerals", "Babylonian numerals" or find another to your liking.
Choose one of the following quotations and explain what it means. Write a short paragraph (60 - 80 words) to express your opinion.
1. “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”
2. “To do two things at once is to do neither.”
Publius Syrus (Latin author).
3. “One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly possible.”
Henry Adams (American journalist, historian and novelist).
4. “A man who dares waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.”
GRAMMAR IN USE
These tasks can help you to practise Conditionals: Type 0 - Type 1 (See Appendix 1 p. 241 – 243) and do the following exercises.
14.Match two parts to form conditional sentences.
Match the items in two columns in order to make correct Type 0 conditional sentences, as in the example.
Example. If you wash woolen clothes in hot water, they shrink.
Underline the correct tense form in the following sentences.
1. If his car breaks / will break down, he calls the auto club.
2. You will be able to see / are able to see better if you turn on the lamp.
3. You'll pay higher insurance if you will buy / buy a sports car.
4. You won't pass the course if you won't study / don't study.
5. When I get / will get a letter, I usually write back immediately.
6. If I will be / am in Venice, I will rent a boat.
7. If we surf / will surf the Internet, we will find a lot of information.