Computers in Our Life
Nowadays, we cannot imagine our life without computers and the fact is that they have become so important that nothing can replace them. They seem to be everywhere today. Since 1948 when the first real computer has been invented our life has changed so much that we can call it real digital revolution.
First computers differed from today's ones. They were so big that they occupied whole rooms or buildings being relatively slow. They were not faster than modern simple watches or calculators. Nowadays they are also used by scientist and they may also be as big as the old ones but they are millions times faster. They can perform many complex operations simultaneously and scientist practically can't do without them. Thanks to them people have an access to various information. Gatheringdata has never been simpler than now. They are not only used in laboratories but also in factories to control production. Sometimes it is computers that make other computers.
But not only in science and industry computers are being used. Thanks to them modern medicine can diagnose diseases faster and more thoroughly. Also in banking system computers have become irreplaceable. Furthermore, architects, designers and engineers can't imagine their work without computers. This machines are really everywhere and we depend on them also in such fields as criminology.
Moreover, computers are wide-spread in education. Except their classic tasks such as administration and accountancy they are used in process of learning. Firstly, they store data which helps students to gain information. Secondly, thanks to special teaching techniques and programs they improve ours skills of gainingknowledge. They have become so popular that not knowing how to use them means to be illiterate.
Of course there is also dark side of computer technology because every invention brings us not only benefits but also threats.
1. Computers saves storage place. Imagine how much paper would have to be used, how many trees would have to be cut just to store information which is today on hard disks, CDs, and memory cards.
2. Computers can calculate and process information faster and more accurate than a human. 3. Computers improve our office work
4. We can communicate with whole world very fast and cheap using the Internet.
5. Computers are user-friendly. We can watch videos and listen to the music having only PC. We can also buy laptop which is smaller, and use it outside anywhere we want.
1. Computers are dangerous to our health. Very often parents want to have a rest and don't draw enough attention to how long their children use computer.
2. Computers sometimes break down and you can lose your data. If you have the Internet connection you have to be particularly careful and download anti-virus programs.
3. Violence and sex. The main threat to younger users of computers is internet pornography and bloody games.
4. The other threat is that you can be a computer addict.
Computers are practically irreplaceable and we can't make without them any more. They are everywhere, at our homes, schools, at work, in our cars
1.6 Write a summary of the Text B by answering your questions to it.
· five-minute writing
· one-minute self-editing
1.7 Now read the answer to the question What are roles of computers in our daily life? given by Sonia Raaz from India and prepare a three-minute speech on the roles of computers in YOUR daily life.
The computer is used in people's daily lives to enable people of this world to talk to each other in real time, to process data quickly. Most gasoline stations are computerized and can not even operate if the computers are down.
Almost every major business, banks, shops, fast food restaurants, etc., uses computer and are unable to even operate if the computers are down. Automobiles are computerized. People also use computers in daily life to shop, bank, and pay bills from the comfort of their homes. In some cases, people can even apply for jobs online. They also provide entertainment in that people play games, listen to music, chat, etc. online. In fact, computerization is so prevalent in our daily lives that should it be taken away, almost everything would shut down, at least for a short time.