Listen again and fill the gaps
2.1 How would you describe what computer hardware is to someone who knows a little about computers? Work in pairs or small groups.
Now read the text and try to describe computer hardware again using the key vocabulary in bold type.
Computer hardware refers to the physical parts of a computer and related devices. Internal hardware devices include motherboards, hard drives, and RAM. External hardware devicesinclude monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, and scanners.
The internal hardware parts of a computer are often referred to as components, while external hardware devices are usually called peripherals. Together, they all fall under the category of computer hardware. Software, on the other hand, consists of the programs and applications that run on computers. Because software runs on computer hardware, software programs often have system requirements that list the minimum hardware required for the software to run.
Decide if the statements are true (T) or false (F). Read Text A to check your answers.
1. Hardware is known as something you can actually touch.
2. The pages and the ink of a book are the hardware analogy.
3. The main memory refers to physical memory that is internal to the computer.
4. There are two different types of memory: the main memory and the random access memory.
5. Devices which can be connected to the CPU are known as peripherals.
6. A keyboard is the most commonly used output device.
7. To display the processed data an input device is used.
8. Mass storage devices retain data even when the computer is turned off.