Functions of the Infinitive
Replace the following complex sentences or groups of sentences by simple sentences with the Infinitive.
Model:I entered this university because I wanted to study electronics.
I entered this university to study electronics.
1. If you want to become a successful engineer, you should constantly develop your knowledge and skills.
2. Mechanical engineers design machine-tools. This is their task.
3. Richard Trevithick, an English mechanical engineer and inventor, was the first man who used a steam engine on a railway.
4. This engineer is not qualified enough. He can’t take part in the project.
5. The problem that we are to solve is connected with making the new body scanner as safe as possible.
6. I am glad that I have finished the calculations for the new engine at last.
Open the brackets using the appropriate form of the Infinitive.
1. Even in ancient times people were ingenious enough (to develop) efficient devices and methods of work.
2. The methods (to introduce) are extremely useful for solving many practical problems.
3. Wind, water and sun may be used (to provide) energy.
4. The young engineer hoped (to involve) in designing a new type of engine.
5. He is lucky (to study) abroad and (to learn) so much.
6. It was very wise of you (to check) the results of the experiment once more.
Translate into English.
1. Нелегко сразу найти правильный русский эквивалент английского слова ‘engineering’.
2. Эта задача слишком сложная, чтобы решать ее в одиночку.
3. Простите, что я заставил Вас ждать.
4. Метод, который будет использоваться в производстве деталей для нового двигателя, был разработан исследователями нашего института.
5. Почему я узнаю обо всем последним?
6. Чтобы тебя допустили к работе с этим оборудованием, нужна специальная подготовка.
Work with a partner. Look at the list of engineering achievements. Add one more achievement to each category. Decide which is the greatest engineering achievement in each category.
What kind of engineers work at each of them?
5.20 Make a presentation of a modern branch of engineering. In you presentation, answer the following questions:
1. When did this branch appear? What other branches of engineering was it derived from?
2. What do the engineers deal with?
3. What does their job involve?
4. What knowledge and skills are necessary to do this job?
For information, refer to the Appendix or to the Internet, e.g. http://encarta.msn.com, http://www.britannica.com