He brings children into the world
a. He is a gynaecologist.
b. He is an obstetrician.
c. He is a pediatrician.
42. SPECIALISTS. Which of the professionals would you consult in each of the following cases?
1. To operate on an eye cataract _ c _ _ _ _ _
2. To cure your son's measles _ _ d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
3. To make your new glasses _ _ _ і_ _ _ _
4. To deliver a baby ob_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
5. To test your eyesight _ _ t _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
6. To cure a rash on the skin d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
7. To treat a sick mind p_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
8. To operate on your appendix _ _ r _ _ _ _
9. To examine the old-age complaints of your
grandmother g _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
10. To treat Peter's deformed hip _ _ _ _ _ p _ _ _ _ _
11. To analyze your dreams _ s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
12. To treat the ailments of your wife _ _n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
43. SPECIALISTS. What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychoanalyst?
44. DRUGS. In most cases drugs are
1. taken by mouth
2. injected into the body
3. applied to the body surface.
Divide the following forms of drugs into the three groups.
capsules pill cream powder gargle serum jelly
tablet lotion vaccines lozenge ointment
46. DRUGS. Choose the right answer.
1. The nurse put a ….. on the wound.
a) bandage b) cloth c) material d) towel
2. Take two of these …. three times a day after meals.
a) capsules b) drugs c) placebos d) prescriptions
3. Illness can be stopped before it happens by means of ….. .
a) after-care b) prescription c) therapy d) vaccines
4. If you've got a headache, why don't you take a ….. of aspirin?
a) couple b) couplet c) pair d) prescription
5. Can you ….. a good pill against airsickness?
a) advise b) propose c) recommend d) suggest
6. The ….. is a teaspoonful, to be taken three times a day. You must not exceed it.
a) dose b) measure c) medicine d) quantity
7. Barbiturates are drugs which are often used in the ….. of emotional disorders.
a) cure b) healing c) improvement d) treatment
8. Many herbs are well known for their healing ….. .
a) contents b) medicines c) parts d) properties
9. The doctor prescribed tablets to help ….. the pain.
a) calm b) lighten c) relieve d) rid
10. He threatened to drink the ….. chemical.
a) deadly b) deathly c) dying d) mortal
11. The doctor gave me some …..for my rheumatism.
a) gargle b) lozenges c) pastilles d) pills
12. As the drug took ….. the patient became quieter.
a) action b) effect c) force d) influence
13. It's time to take another ….. of medicine.
a) cup b) dose c) drink d) spoon
14. The effects of the anaesthetic used for the operation take quite a time to….. off.
a) give b) move c) turn d) wear
15. One way to ged rid of hiccups is to …..your breath for as long as possible.
a) catch b) draw c) hold d) take
16. She's suffering from a ….. of iron and needs to take a course of tablets.
a) default b) defect c) deficiency d) deficit
17. After his illness, the doctor gave him medicine to ….. another attack.
a) deny b) improve c) prevent d) recover
18. You'll feel better after you've taken a ….. of cough medicine.
a) dose b) helping c) portion d) ration
19. Take the tablets twice a day ….. in two tablespoons of water.
a) dissolved b) melted c) resolved d) solved
20. The medicine he takes can only ….. the pain. It cannot get rid of it completely.
a) heal b) remedy c) relieve d) solve
47. DRUGS. Fill the blank with the right word from the list below. You may use each word once only.
antiseptic cleanse disease fester ointment plaster skin wound