CLOUD COMPUTING - USING SOFTWARE ON THE INTERNET
I. Read the text. Translate it into Russian. Put 7 questions of different types to it. Write out a) verbs in passive, b) modal verbs with the meaningful verbs.
CLOUD COMPUTING - USING SOFTWARE ON THE INTERNET
Cloud computing means using software that is installed on the Internet. You can also save your work on another computer instead ofthehard drive of your own PC or laptop. Music, letters, presentations and other projects can be stored on clouds, data storage areason giant servers on the Internet.
There are many so-called web applications that can do the same as normal desktop software. Google Documents, for example, gives you a text editor, a slide show applicationand a program forcreating tables and diagrams. You can use these programs for free – from any computer all over the world.
Up to now web browsers were only used to searchfor information on the Internet and show it. But now they have become something like operating systemswhich can give you almost everything that you have on your own PC desktop.
Cloud computing can also be cheaper than buying expensive software. Many basicapplications on the net are free, but you may have to pay to use some of the more complexprograms. Companies do not have to buy expensive software licensesfor all their workers and computers do not have to be better and more powerful all the time because all you need is a simple web browser, like the Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Cloud computing allows people from different parts of the world to work on a project together. Teachers and pupils, for example, might work on the same text together. Companies around the world can work together on a singlecomputer and do not have to send data back and forth.
There are, however, some things that make computer users skeptical. One of the big problems is security. With cloud computing, your data is givento someone else. Users are also worried that they might lose their data on other computers. In any case, cloud computing is marching forward and in a few years we may only be having a web browser running on our PCs.
II. Read and translate the sentences from English into Russian. Define the tense forms, voice of the underlined verbs. Write 5 questions of all basic types to the highlighted sentence. - Прочтите и переведите предложения на русский язык. Определите видовременную форму и залог выделенных глаголов. Поставьте 5 вопросов всех основных типов к выделенному предложению.
Model: When trade began to develop widely advertising was oral. – Когда торговля начала широко развиваться, реклама была устной.
began – Past Simple, Active Voice
was – Past simple, Active Voice
1. By the end of the month, I’ll have been working for this firm for a year.
2. Since the computer was invented the work of accountants has been simplified.
3. More and more people are becoming computer-literate.
4. By the time they got to the station, the train had left.
5. The word processor consists of a keyboard, a monitor and a printer.
6. The company usually gives us business class tickets, but this time they have bought economy tickets for this trip because there are so many of us going.
7. In 1991, IBM were making PCs with 16Mb of memory, expandable to 64Mb, running with a processor speed of 33MHz.
III. Complete the sentences below using the following verbs in the passive. Translate the sentences:
(Model: The printers ……… three weeks late. (deliver)
The printers were delivered three weeks late.
Принтеры доставили на три недели позже.)
1. The computer memory …… by opening too many files. (overload)
2. When the initial problems ......... the machine worked like clockwork. (solve)
3. The machine ………..… by pressing this small orange button. (operate)
4. Last year their new factory ……………… on the outskirts of the town. (construct)
5. Over $3 million ........... on advertising last year. (spend)
6. The advertising prospectus ………………….. to all potential investors . (send)
7. An extraordinary general meeting .......... on Wednesday. (hold)
IV. Read and translate the sentences from English into Russian paying attention to the meaning of modal verbs. Underline the modal verbs.- прочтите и переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на значение модальных глаголов. Подчеркните модальные глаголы.
1. You may sit at my desk while I’m away.
2. I couldn’t finish my work because the computer went wrong.
3. You have to close the database before you can open the word processor package.
4. I'm doing an important job which will take several days. – Then you should back up the file every evening.
5. He said he might come tomorrow.
6. We mustn’t be late for work.
V. In this passage about the use of computers in business you must fill each blank with one word. Choose each word from the following list. You must use each word once only.- прочитайте текст, заполните пробелы словами из таблицы.
Computers are being used more and more in business because they are fast, efficient and 1………… .
Here are some ways in which computers are used:
Insurance companies use them to store and 2 ………… details of clients' policies.
Production departments in companies use them to ensure they have adequate
3 ………… of raw materials and 4………….. .
Banks use them for processing details of accounts and 5 ……………….. .
Personnel departments use them to keep 6 …………… of a company's employees.
Can you think of any other ways in which computers are used?
The most common ways in which you can 7 …………… information into a computer are:
- by typing it on a 8.........
- from a 9.............. disk
- by 10............. over a telephone link.
- from another computer 11...... to yours.
A computer can 12.......... information:
- on a 13............ called a VDU (visual display unit),
- to a 14............ which may use 15....... ……. sheets or 16 ……… stationery,
- to a floppy disk,
-to another computer.
VI. Choose the correct word to complete each sentence. You may have to change some words slightly. – заполните пробелы подходящими по смыслу словами, добавляя нужные окончания, если необходимо.
1. applying, applicant, application, applicable
a) My student is thinking of ____________ for a government grant to continue his research.
b) The new book uses business ____________ to teach computer studies.
2. corrected, correctly, corrective, correctness
a) The data was entered ____________, so the result must be accurate.
b) The mistake was detected and __________ immediately.
3. considerably, consider, considerable, consideration
a) The CEO has submitted this proposal for your __________ .
b) This computer is ___________ faster than the old one.
4. depend, dependence, dependable, dependably
a) This is very______ equipment. We have never had a serious breakdown.
b) Today, in many companies the employees’ salary __________ on their skills and ability to work hard.
5. engaged, engaging, engagement
a) The line is _________ so I'll have to try again later.
b) Cancel all my ___________ for the rest of the day, please.