II. BEFORE YOU READ. Гуманитарный институт
Методические указания по разговорным темам для студентов I курсов всех направлений подготовки дневной и заочной формы обучения часть I (переработанная)
МИНИСТЕРСТВО ОБРАЗОВАНИЯ И НАУКИ РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ
Федеральное государственное бюджетное образовательное учреждение
высшего профессионального образования
«ТЮМЕНСКИЙ ГОСУДАРСТВЕННЫЙ НЕФТЕГАЗОВЫЙ УНИВЕРСИТЕТ»
Кафедра иностранных языков №1
Методические указания по разговорным темам
для студентов I курсов всех направлений подготовки
дневной и заочной формы обучения
Английский язык: методические указания по разговорным темам для студентов I курсов всех направлений подготовки дневной и заочной формы обучения часть I (переработанная) / сост. Б.О. Гриднева, М.В. Заичко, Т.А. Колчанова, А.А. Мелихова, О.Н. Родина, Т.Н. Терлецкая, М.К. Хмелева; Тюменский государственный нефтегазовый университет.– 2-е изд., испр.– Тюмень: Издательский центр БИК ТюмГНГУ 2012.– 32 с.
Методические указания рассмотрены и рекомендованы к изданию на заседании кафедры иностранных языков №1
«27» апреля 2012 года, протокол № 8.
Настоящие методические указания предназначены для развития навыков чтения, аудирования и устной речи для студентов 1 курса всех направлений подготовки. Представленный сборник состоит из 2 частей, в которые включены темы, соответствующие программе, и список разговорных формул.
Каждая тема содержит текст, снабженный словарем, и ряд упражнений, направленных на активизацию тематического словаря и развитие навыков устной речи.
Темы рекомендуется изучать в той последовательности, в которой они представлены.
Методические указания рассчитаны для аудиторной и самостоятельной работы студентов.
UNIT 1. I am a student of
Tyumen State Oil and Gas University
I. WARM UP
How does your student’s life differ from the one at school? Cover the following points: curriculum and holidays; subjects and teachers; spare time; family relations; apartment; future plans.
II. BEFORE YOU READ
A. Do you know what does BA in history, BSc in chemistry, MA, MSc, MPhil, Professor, Doctor, Candidate of Science, Associate Professor and PhD mean? In your opinion, will the current system of education be popular for the next decade? Or will it change?
B. Find out the translation of the following words. Explain the difference between the underlined words and phrases:
1) a credit and a student’s record book;
2) part-time student and full-time student;
3) to repeat and to revise;
4) a term and a lesson;
5) to read to oneself and to read aloud;
6) to do exercises orally and to do exercises in written form;
7) out-of-town students and foreign students;
8) to have field-placement and to take preparatory courses;
9) undergraduates and postgraduates.;
10) a hostel and a department (sub-faculty).
C. Are exams fair or not? Tick the statements you agree with.
Are exams fair?
Read the text and make sure you know the translation of the highlighted words and phrases.
1. At present I am a first-year student of Tyumen State Oil and Gas University. This year I've passed my entrance exams successfully and entered one of the biggest Universities of oil and gas profile in Russia. Choosing my professional way, I decided to follow my father's footsteps. More than 20 years ago he graduated from Tyumen Industrial Institute which was set up in 1963, The matter is at the dawn of 1960s it was obvious that the West Siberian region was a unique one. The richest reserves of oil and gas made this gigantic territory a main granary of the country. Because of its swift developing, this region felt the need in Technical institute of higher education to train highly qualified specialists. In 1994 the status of University was given to the Institute.
2. Nowadays our University consists of 8 Institutes: Technological Institute, the Institute of Geology and Geoinformatics, Transport Institute, Oil and Gas Institute, Institute of Management and Business, Institute of Cybernetics, Informatics and Communication, Institute of Industrial technologies and Engeneering and Institute of International Programs. It has numerous educational centers. Preliminary Education Centre, Scientific-Research Centre, Post-Graduate Qualification Institute, 16 Institutes of scientific research are among them. There are 14 branches in such towns as Surgut, Tobolsk, Nizhnevartovsk, Urai etc.
3. It's worth sayingthat at present about 60 000 students are being trained in 122 specialities. The teaching staff of 70 departments (sub-faculties) consists of about 2 000 people. There are726 candidates of science and associate-professors. 231 Doctors and professors deliver lectures and run seminars. The scientists of University have patented more than 1000 inventions.
4. Everything flows, everything changes. Our University is not an exception. So, modern information technologies became an integral part of educational process. All educational buildings are connected with each other by the Intranet. The University has at its disposal 15 multi-media laboratories, 80 display class-rooms. We are proud of our library: its fund is about 1 million books. It should be noted that the registration of the library users is made automatically and all of them are provided with the electronic readers' cards.
5. The training course lasts 5 years. Each year is divided into two terms. Three times a term the students have the credits when they take credit tests. The final mark is the summary of all credits. In summer the third- and fourth-year students have field placement at plants and factories of oil and gas fields.
6. Our classes begin at 8 o'clock and are over at about 2 o'clock. I never plan very carefully what I shall do every day. As a rule, my working day begins at 7 o'clock in the morning. I don't do my morning exercises. Instead, I take my dog out for a walk and it is a good exercise for me. Then I wash up, clean my teeth, brush my hair and have breakfast. During my breakfast I always listen to the latest news over the radio.
7. Frankly speaking, I am very hard-working,so, I’m short of time. After lectures I go either to the library or to the laboratory to get ready for my lectures. Every day we have lectures and some hours of practice. We do a lot of subjects. I have some trouble with descriptive geometry. My favourite subjects are strength of materials and English. Those who like English may attend the intensive course of studying the English language. That's why next year I'll enter Translators' qualification supplementary course.
8. In spite of the fact that the bus stop is right in front of my house, it takes me half an hour to go to the University by bus. When I am not late I go there on foot. After lectures, I have dinner at home or in the dining room. Then I have a rest and do my homework. My parents usually come home late.
9. Our University has 6 hostels, so, out-of-town students have possibility to choose: to rent apartments for the period of education or to live in a hostel. During their vacation they go to see their parents.
10. The students' life is very interesting and saturated. Tyumen State Oil and Gas University has rich cultural and sports traditions. All-University teams have won the first prizes at regional and town competitions. Our students participate in students' festivals where one may apply one's talents.
11. To tell the truth, I like to study at Tyumen Oil and Gas University. In four years I will graduate from the University and I'll do my best to become a good specialist.
12. We have a rest twice a year: a month in summer and a fortnight in winter. When I have some spare time I like reading detective stories, listening to classical music, watching TV. My hobby is sport and I am a member of a tennis club. Twice a week I have training in a gym. I am fond of skiing and skating. I enjoy rock music and collect discs of my favourite rock groups and singers. Sometimes I go to the swimming-pool or to the disco-dancing club on weekends. If the weather is fine my friends and I go to play basketball. All in all I have a good time at my free time. I'll try to do my best to get good education.
13. In five years I shall graduate from the University and become an engineer. I'd like to work at a big machine-building plant or take post-graduate work.