Read and remember the phrases helpful when you order a meal in a restaurant
8. Would you like to order now?
9. Would you like another cup of coffee?
-recommends dishes to guests
10. I would recommend the Cabernet Savignon, Madam.
11. Prawn cocktail is the speciality of the house.
-shows regrets about things out of the menu
12. I’m sorry, Madam. The chicken is all gone. The veal is off.
-takes a table reservation
13. I have reserved a table for a party of three at 7.30. Is that right?
-makes a table reservation
1. Can I book a table for two, please?
2. I’d like to make a reservation for next Sunday night.
-asks for things
3. Could we have a table for three, please?
4. Could I have the menu, please?
5. Could I ask you for a bill, please?
6. I’ll have soup to start with, please.
7. Then I’ll have a steak with Frenchfried potatoes.
8. I think I’ll have a lager, please.
9. I’m going to have the fondue.
-pays for a meal
10. How much is it?
11. Can I pay cash/by a credit card/by cheque?
Read and speak. Dialogues.
Read and dramatize dialogues 1, 2 and 3.
Woman: Could we possibly order, please?
Woman: I'd like the delices de Grison, please, and the mixed salad, followed by the fondue.
Waiter: Sorry, the fondue's off tonight.
Woman: Oh. What do you recommend, then?
Waiter: The veal is very good.
Woman: Well, I'll have that, then.
Waiter: Very well, madam. And for you, sir?
Man: I'll have the salmon mousse, I think.
Waiter: And to start, sir?
Man: Nothing, thanks. Do you think you could bring us the wine list, though?
Waiter: Yes, of course.
Waiter: Are you ready to order dessert?
Woman: Yes. Could I have the parfait, please?
Man: And I'll have the souffle glace.
Waiter: Are you ready to order?
Man: Yes, I think so. I'd like the Beef Madras.
Woman: Yes. Could I have the fish, please?
Waitress: What vegetables would you like?
Woman: Mashed potatoes and peas, please.
Waitress: And would you like a starter?
Man: Yes, I'll have the erudites.
Woman: And chicken liver pate for me.
Man: No, sorry, could you change mine, please, to melon and prawn cocktail?