The House On The Hill. 1. Where did Paul and Maria meet?
1. Where did Paul and Maria meet?
A. near the hill
B. by the river
C. at the market
D. in a restaurant
2. Whom did Paul live with?
A. alone with mother
B. with his cousin
C. with his parents
D. with his granny
3. What was Maria’s reaction for Paul’s proposal of marriage?
A. she walked away silently
B. she loved him but married a rich writer
C. she accepted his marriage proposal
D. she laughed at him
4. What interesting information did Paul find in the newspaper?
A. a rich man’s beautiful bride
B. an offer for a job in the newspaper
C. a prize for the best story for the newspaper
D. results of a horserace
5. Which of the following did Maria love?
A. to go to parties and enjoy herself
B. her husband
D. Walking in a park alone
Ride the Lightning
6. Where did Holly Ann get the name of a detective from?
A. from an advertisement
B. someone’s advice
C. a phone book
D. from a TV show
7. What happened in the liquor store?
A. a quarrel
B. a robbery
C. a fight
D. a fire
8. How did Curtis Colt die?
A. he was hanged
B. he was shot dead
C. he died in the electric chair
D. he died in a plane crash
9. Who turned out to be the gunman?
C. Holly Ann
D. Colt’s former classmate
10. When Nudger was leaving, the air in the trailer was
1. Who fell out of the window?
A. a doctor
B. a coroner
2. What was absent from Elinor’s bag?
A. a lipstick
B. a notebook
C. some make-up
D. a suicide note
3. Who was shot in the chest?
A. Mrs. Hammond
B. Doctor Barclay
C. Mrs. Thompson
4. When did Elinor begin to attend a psychiatrist?
A. After Easter
B. After Christmas
C. After the last day of spring
D. After a talk to her husband
5. What is Miss Smith?
A. The doctor’s wife
B. Elinor’s mother
C. A nurse
D. An office employee
6. Fred’s face at the inquest was
B. happy and funny
C. puzzled and shocked
D. sad and unhappy
7. What was in Elinor’s bag?
A. make-up and perfume
B. a newspaper and a magazine
C. a phone and a camera
D. a notebook and a handkerchief
8. When did Elinor’s hairdresser notice a change in her?
A. about Christmas time
B. about Easter
C. soon after her birthday
D. before St. Valentine day
9. Who was the man watching her?
A. the “postman”
B. a driver
C. a teacher
D. a doctor
10. What did mother do at the end of the story?
1. What had happened to Lucille before she got a job?
A. Her father had left their family.
B. Her mother had died.
C. Her mother had sent her to work.
D. Her mother had married for the second time
2. What did Lucille do with 20 dollars?
A. She refused to take it.
B. She left it to herself.
C. She lost it
D. She bought a present for her mother
Death on Christmas Eve
3. What happened to Jessie?
A. She got married.
B. She died.
C. She got lost.
D. She had a jolly Christmas party
4. What’s the age difference between Charlie and Celia?
A. Charlie is 3 years older than Celia.
B. Charlie is 5 years younger than Celia.
C. They are of the same age.
D. Charlie is 5 years older than Celia.
5. Why was Edward Wright killed?
A. Because Edward had killed a girl.
B. Because Edward was a bad person.
C. Because he didn’t want to return a money loan.
D. It was an accident.