The Fall of the House of Usher
The Oblong Box Edgar
The Black Cat
The Facts in The Case of Mr Valdemar
The pit and the pendulum
A Descent Into the Maelstrom
The Masque of the Red Death
The Black Cat
A tidy ghost
1. How long did Alpha 3461 and Beta 4297 use the same room?
A. two weeks
B. three years
C. nine months
D. 24 hours
2. When did the workers learn the rule of the starship?
A. before they left the earth
B. aboard the starship
C. they didn’t know the rule
D. when they were having practice
3. Where did Alpha 3461 hide the note?
A. under the bed
B. she left it in the shower
C. put it into the tap
D. in the freezer
4. What kind of information do green discs contain?
B. history data
D. information about environment problems
5. Why did Gareth move to Alpha shift?
A. because there had been an accident
B. because Gareth had asked to transfer him to Alpha shift
C. because his shift was boring
D. because he wanted to see Sara
Love or money
1. What did Rachel’s company use computers for?
A. for publishing newspapers
B. to play games
C. to watch movies
D. for doing horoscopes
2. What was the name of the town where people had short life lines?
Puss in boots
3. Whose was the castle in the park at the beginning?
A. the giant’s
B. the king’s
C. Marquis of Carabas’s
D. The Cat’s
4. Which could the cat do?
Slowly Slowly in the Wind
5. What was the nature of Edward Skipperton?
A. he was often angry
B. he was always angry
C. he was happy
D. he was always sad
Woodrow Wilson Tie
The Absence of Emily
At the Old Swimming Hole
How is Your Mother
Death in the Freezer
Three is a Lucky Number
1. Where did Ronald see Edyth for the first time?
A. at a hotel near the reception desk
B. on a bench in the park
C. on a beach
D. in a restaurant of a seaside hotel
2. Where did Edyth keep her money and business papers?
A. in a locked desk drawer
B. in the closet
C. in a jar with some cereal
D. in a box
The Merchant of Venice
3. Which chest did Bassanio choose?
A. the golden one
B. the silver one
C. the lead one
4. What would Shylock take if Antonio didn’t pay the debt?
A. a pound of flesh
B. more money
C. his house
D. his ships
5. Whom was Shylock ordered to give his money?
C. Venice and Antonio
D. Venice and Shylock’s daughter
The upper Berth
In the dark
Grapes of Wrath
1. The man sitting under the tree was:
A. a driver
B. a priest
C. a policeman
D. Tom’s relative
2. How did Muley get his food?
A. he went to pubs for meals
B. his relatives gave him some food
C. he caught wild animals
D. he begged for food at shops
3. Tom’s family was going to leave the old place because
A. they liked a new one
B. they didn’t want Tom to live with them
C. they were forced to leave because of the landowners demands
D. they didn’t like their neighbours
4. Tom could drive a truck because
A. he worked as a driver while he was in prison
B. he sold trucks
C. he was taught driving in the army
D. no-one else in the family wanted to learn to drive
5. When the family stopped to spend the night by the road side Tom’s grandpa
A. felt happy
B. was ill
C. decided to cook supper
D. helped Tom to make fire
6. Wilson had expected
A. that his car was going to break down
B. that his car was going to reach their destination safely
C. their journey would be a great fun
D. he could take more passengers in his car
7. Why didn’t Mather want to go on the trip separately?
A. She was afraid of being robbed.
B. She was sure the rest of the family would get lost.
C. She didn’t know how to make a camp.
D. She thought Tom wouldn’t be able to repair the car.
8. A poor man at the camp
A. told how he had worked in California
B. helped to find a good spare part for their car
C. told about recruiting workers for jobs
D. had a quarrel with Tom
9. A policeman at the bank of the river
A. welcomed the travelers
B. helped them to find a better place
C. ordered to leave the place as soon as possible
D. laughed at the women in the tent
10. Tom wanted to find the government camp because
A. he hoped it would be a better place
B. the police was going to kill him
C. he wanted to burn the camp
D. he could find a job in the camp
11. The government camp that Tom found
A. was controlled by the police
B. was controlled by the residents’ representatives
C. was free for new migrants
D. was closed for migrants from Oklahoma
12. The Farmers' Association is going to
A. arrange a dance party in the government camp
B. show movies in the evening
C. provoke a shooting in the camp to let the police in
D. provide new jobs for the migrants
13. Tom wasn’t allowed to go out of the Hooper Ranch camp because
A. he was going to have trouble with the local people
B. he could steal some peaches
C. the employers didn’t want him to know there was going to be a strike
D. the employers were afraid he wouldn’t return to work
14. In the old barn there was
A. a man and a boy
B. a big family
C. a truck
D. an old man with his granddaughter
A. gave a safe birth to her baby
B. wanted to save a stranger dying of hunger
C. was strong enough to help the men escape prom the flood
D. helped to carry Pa up to the truck