Text 2. My Future Speciality is Computer Systems and Networks
I am a student of Lutsk National Technical University. I study at the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technologies. My speciality is Computer Systems and Networks. I’ll be an engineer-programmer by profession.
The students of this trend are trained to be high-qualified computing and information systems professionals. The program aim is to educate and train students in those aspects of information technology concerned with the implementation of information systems in wide variety of organisational contexts. They concern themselves with the utilisation and support of technology in a modern enterprise. The learning objectives are that students will be able to:
· Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental characteristics of information systems and their role within organisations,
· Know how to evaluate and select appropriate methods and technologies for representing, managing and disseminating information,
· Contribute to information system implementation, using sound principles of analysis and design,
· Demonstrate practical competence in a range of current software systems
· Able to adapt themselves and learn new evolving technologies and implement them in their line of work.
At present the students of the faculty have sufficient quantity of study-rooms and laboratories fitted out with modern educational and production equipment. A powerful computer centre linked up to the local network gives the opportunity to get acquainted with modern achievements in the field of computing and data-processing.
Availability of the Internet allows to communicate with colleagues all over the world and to obtain the newest information in the field of computer technologies.
Thorough knowledge of foreign languages is also quite necessary for an engineer-programmer as a lot of complicated devices are imported from Great Britain, Germany, Japan and other foreign countries. He must know perfectly well not only our home ones. He must know them very well to be able to install the devices correctly at a plant and to repair when necessary.
The combination of theory and practice is of great importance. While studying at the University all students do practical work in order to get experience.
Students should not forget that only when their theoretical knowledge is profound enough they will succeed in practical work and vice versa. That's why the students of our faculty do their best to become skilled specialists.
Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technologies— факультет комп’ютерних наук та інформаційних технологій
Computer Systems and Networks —комп’ютерні системи та мережі
an engineer-programmer —інженер-програміст
to concern oneself (with) — займатися, цікавитися
trend — профіль
utilisation["jHtIlaI'zeISqn] — використання
learning objectives [qb'dZektIv] — цілі навчання
to disseminate [dI'semIneIt] — поширювати
sufficient quantity[sq'fIS(q)nt 'kwPntItI] —достатня кількість
fitted out — обладнаний
availability [q"veIlq'bIlItI] — наявність
to get experience — набувати досвід
to succeed in — мати успіх в ...
vice versa['vaIsI'vWsq] — навпаки
to do one's best — робити все можливе
1. Complete the following statements:
1) I am a student of … .
2) I study at … .
3) My speciality is … .
4) I’ll be … by profession.
5) The learning objectives are that students will be able to: … .
6) At present the students of the faculty have sufficient quantity of…
7) Availability of the Internet allows … .
8) Thorough knowledge of foreign languages is … .
9) Students should not forget that … .
2. Answer the following questions:
1. Where do you study?
2. What faculty do you study at?
3. What is your speciality?
4. What are the students of this speciality trained for?
5. What is the program aim?
6. With what do students concern themselves?
7. What have the students of the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technologies at their disposal?
8. What do the students of the faculty use the Internet for?
9. Why is thorough knowledge of foreign languages also quite necessary for an engineer-programmer?
11. What must students remember concerning their theoretical knowledge?
3. Do the following tasks:
1) State the most important facts from the text and write them down;
2) Write out the key words from the text
3) Put questions to the text in order to retell it;
4) Retell the text.