Tell what sentences are true and what are false. 1) The abacus emerged in Africa and it allowed people to make calculations using moving beads arranged on a rack
1) The abacus emerged in Africa and it allowed people to make calculations using moving beads arranged on a rack. 2) Konrad Zuse built the first programmable computer, called Z3, working on the binary system. 3) Second generation computers used transistors instead of vacuum tubes. 4) Second-generation computers were bigger, slower and less reliable than first-generation computers. 5) A chip is a square or rectangular piece of silicon, usually from 1/10 to 1/4 inch. 6) Fibre optics and optical disks revolutionize the world of computers in 1975. 7) Artificial Intelligence and voice recognition are incorporated into computer applications of the fifth generation of computers.
2. Choose the right answer:
1) Ada Byron is considered the first … .
a) male computer programmer;
b) female computer programmer;
c) computer user.
2) Konrad Zuse built the first … .
a) programmable computer;
b) big computer;
c) desk computer.
3) The thousands of … of the first computers emitted large amounts of heat and burned out frequently.
c) vacuum tubes.
4) Third generation computers used … .
a) silicon chips;
5) Bill Gates and Paul Allen founded Microsoft and wrote a BASIC compiler for the Altair in … .
6) … revolutionize the world of computers.
b) fibre elements;
c) fibre optics and optical disks.
Complete the sentences.
1) In 1941 Konrad Zuse built the first programmable computer, called Z3, working on … . 2) The University of Pennsylvania designed ENIAC, an electronic computer which used vacuum tubes and was able to calculate at electronic speeds in … . 3) Second generation computers were able to reduce … from milliseconds to microseconds. 4) The integrated circuits of the fourth generation computers have been greatly … in size. 5) Fifth generation computers are characterized by … .
4. Answer the questions:
1) When did the abacus emerge? 2) Who designed ENIAC (UNIVersal Automatic Computer), an electronic computer which used vacuum tubes and was able to calculate at electronic speeds? 3) What did the second generation computers use? 4) What could the third generation computers perfom? 5) Why did fourth generation computers become smaller in size? 6) What did revolutionize the world of computers?
5. Find as quickly as possible and read out the sentences containing the following important information:
*6. Try to tell the gist of the text.
Give Ukrainian equivalents of the following.
To make calculations, mechanical adding machine, a numerical wheel,
the binary system, to emit large amounts of heat, magnetizable cores, to perform many data processing operations, to be squeezed onto microchips, to be reduced in size, a square or rectangular piece of silicon, revolutionize the world of computers, computer applications, voice recognition, integrated circuits, tiny circuits.