Tell what sentences are true and what are false
1) Printers provide information in a permanent, human-readable form. 2) Printers are commonly used input devices. 3) We classify printers as character printers and line printers. 4) A typewriter is an example of a line printer. 5) One of the newest types of character printer is the ink-jet printer that sprays small drops of ink onto paper to form printed characters. 6) Line printers are electromechanical machines used for high-volume paper output on most computer systems. 7) Page printers are low-speed nonimpact printers because their printing rates are low.
2. Choose the right answer:
1) Printers are the most commonly used … devices
2) Printers that use electromechanical mechanisms that cause hammers to strike against a ribbon and the paper are called … .
a) impact printers;
b) nonimpact printers;
c) low-speed printers.
3) Character printers print only … at a time.
a) three characters;
b) two characters;
c) one character.
4) Line printers are electromechanical machines used for … output on most computer systems.
a) high-volume paper;
b) low-volume paper;
c) mid-volume paper.
5) Page printers are high-speed … printers.
3. Complete the sentences:
1) There are several kinds of printers … . 2) Printers vary greatly in … . 3) The characteristic features of character printers are … . 4) Character printers may be of several types: … . 5) Line printers are … . 6) Two of the most common print mechanisms are … . 7) Drum printers use … . 8) Speeds of drum printers vary from … to over … lines per minute. 9) Speeds of chain printers range from … to … lines per minute. 10) Page printers are … .
4. Answer the questions:
1) What are the three types of printers? 2) What is a letter-quality printer? 3) What is a dot-matrix printer? 4) What type of printer is the most common with microcomputer systems? 5) What is the most common printer type used on large computer systems? 6) What is an impact printer? Give an example. 7) What is a nonimpact printer? Give examples. 8) What are the most widely used printers? 9) How do you distinguish between a letter-quality printer and a dot-matrix printer? 10) Which of these printers is slower? 11) What types of character printers do you know? 12) How are printed characters formed by means of an ink-jet printer? 13) What are the main types of a line printer? Which of them is faster? 14) What techniques are used in the operation of page printers?
5. Find as quickly as possible and read out the sentences containing the following important information:
*6. Try to tell the gist of the text.
Give Ukrainian equivalents of the following.
To vary greatly in performance and design, high iron content, commonly used output devices, human-readable form, speed range, to print only one character, different approaches to printing, impact or nonimpact printers, almost all computers, printing requirements, as well as, ink-jet printer, typewriter quality, to spray small drops of ink, to take the shape of a character, magnetic fields, appear to be printing a line, a drum printer, a chain printer, lazer printer.