Упр. 372. Переведите на английский язык, употребляя независимый причастный оборот
1. Так как было очень поздно, собрание было закрыто. 2. Если погода позволит, мы пойдем на каток. 3. Так как все было готово, она решила отдохнуть. 4. Так как было уже поздно, они никуда не пошли. 5. Так как погода была холодная, Джек спрятал руки в карманы. 6. Так как быстро темнело, она поспешила домой. 7. Когда солнце зашло, сразу стало темно. 8, Так как наш разговор был закончен, я пошел домой. 9. Когда письмо было написано, она быстро побежала на почту отправить его. 10. Так как оставалось еще полчаса до отхода поезда, мы решили поужинать на вокзале. 11. Если погода будет благоприятной, спортсмены могут показать хорошие результаты. 12. Мы долго разговаривали: он задавал мне вопросы, а я охотно на них отвечал. 13. Если условия позволят, я приеду к вам на лето. 14. Так как было очень тепло, дети спали на открытом воздухе. 15. Когда все приготовления были закончены, мы отправились в поход. 16. Корабль медленно плыл вдоль берегов Белого моря; сотни птиц кружились над ним. 17. Было очень темно,
так как на небе не было ни одной звездочки.
18. Когда солнце село, туристы развели костер.
I like seeing a good film.
Seeing a good film is a pleasure.
We thought of seeing a film after supper.
He went home without seeing the film.
Упр. 373. Переведите на русский язык, обращая внимание на герундий.
1. Have you finished writing? 2. Taking a cold shower in the morning is very useful. 3. I like skiing, but my sister prefers skating. 4. She likes sitting in the sun. 5. It looks like raining. 6. My watch wants repairing. 7. Thank you for coming. 8. I had no hope of getting an answer before the end of the month. 9.1 had the pleasure of dancing with her the whole evening. 10. Let's go boating. 11. He talked without stopping. 12. Some people can walk all day without feeling tired. 13. Living in little stuffy rooms means breathing poisonous air. 14. Iron is found by digging in the earth. 15. There are two ways of getting sugar: one from beet and the other from sugar-cane. 16. Jane Eyre was fond of reading. 17. Miss Trotwood was in the habit of asking Mr. Dick his opinion.
Упр. 374. В следующих предложениях замените придаточные дополнительные герундием с предлогом of.
E.g.She thought she would go to the country
for the week-end.
She thought of going to the country for
1. I thought I would come and see you tomorrow.2. I am thinking that I shall go out to the country tomorrow to see my mother. 3.What do you think you will do tomorrow? 4.1 don't know now; I thought
l would go to the zoo,but the weather is so bad that probably I shan't go. 5. I hear there are some English books at our institute book-stall now. - So you are thinking that you will buy some,aren't you? 6.1 thought I would work in the library this evening,but as you have come, I won't go to the library.
Упр. 375. В следующих предложениях замените придаточные времени герундием с предлогом after. E.g. When she had boughteverything she needed, she went home. After buyingeverything she needed, she went home
1. After I had hesitated some minuteswhether to buy the hat or not, I finally decided that I might find one I liked better in another shop. 2. When she had graduated from the university,she left St. Petersburg and went to teach in her home town.
3. When he had proved that his theory was correct,he started studying ways and means of improving the conditions of work in very deep coalmines.
4. After she took the child to the kindergarten,she went to the library to study for her examination.
5. When he had made a thorough study of the subject,he found that it was a great deal more important than he had thought at first.
Упр. 376. Переведите на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные формы герундия.
1. Watching football matches may be exciting enough, but of course it is more exciting playing football. 2. She stopped coming to see us, and I wondered what had happened to her. 3. Can you remember having seen the man before? 4. She was terrified of having to speak to anybody, and even more, of being spoken to. 5. He was on the point of leaving the club, as the porter stopped him. 6. After being corrected by the teacher, the students' papers were returned to them. 7. I wondered at my mother's having allowed the journey. 8.1 understand perfectly your wishing to start the work at once. 9. Everybody will discuss the event, there is no preventing it. 10. At last he broke the silence by inviting everybody to walk into the dining-room. 11. On being told the news she turned pale. 12. The place is worth visiting.
Запомните следующие глаголы и выражения, требующие после себя герундия
to avoid to burst out cannot help to deny to enjoy
to excuse to finish to forgive to give up to go on
to keep (on) to mind1 to postpone to put off to stop
Упр. 377. Переведите на русский язык, обращая внимание на герундий.
1. I avoided speaking to them about that matter. 2. She burst out crying. 3. They burst out laughing. 4. She denied having been at home that evening. 5. He enjoyed talking of the pleasures of travelling. 6. Excuse my leaving you at such a moment. 7. Please forgive my interfering. 8. He gave up smoking a few years ago. 9. They went on talking. 10. He keeps insisting on my going to the south. 11. Oh please do stop laughing at him. 12. Do you mind my asking you a difficult question? 13. Would you mind coming again in a day or two? 14. I don't mind wearing this dress. 15. She could not help smiling. 16. I cannot put off doing this translation. 17. Though David was tired, he went on walking in the direction of Dover.