Упр. 485. Переведите на русский язык
1. My sister cannot write this letter: she is verv busy. 2. My sister need not write this letter: I shall phone them. 3. She cannot buy bread. 4. She need not buy bread. 5. You cannot read so many books. 6. You need not read so many books. 7. Nick cannot go to school today. 8. Nick need not go to school today. 9. They cannot translate this article. 10. They need not translate this article. 11. They could not write the composition. 12. They need not have written the composition. 13.1 could not go to the library. 14. I need not have gone to the library. 15. He could not stay there for the night. 16. He need not have stayed there for the night. 17. We could not do all this work. 18. We need not have done all this work. 19. She could not cook such a big dinner. 20. She need not have cooked such a big dinner.
Упр.485. Перефразируйте следующие предложения, употребляя модальный глагол need.
E.g. 1) It is not necessary to go there.
You need not gothere. 2) It was notnecessary to go there. You need not have gonethere.
1. There was no necessity for her to do it herself. 2. There is no reason for you to worry: he is as strong as a horse. 3. There is no need for you to be present. 4. Is it any use our going into all that now? 5. Why did you mention all these figures? The situation was clear as it was, 6. Why do you rant to press the skirt? It is not creased at all. . It was not necessary for you to remind me about her birthday. I remember the date very well. Why do you want to do it all today? 9. It was not necessary for mother to cook this enormous dinner: we have brought all the food the children may want. 10. It is not necessary to take the six-thirty. A later train will do as well.
Упр. 486. Переведите на английский язык, ютребляя модальный глагол need.
1. Мне нужно тебе помогать? — Нет, спасибо, все сделаю сам. 2. Вы можете не ходить туда.
3. Ему незачем беспокоиться о ней. 4. Я могу и не спрашивать его: он сам мне все расскажет. 5. Вам не обязательно звонить мне: я не забуду о своем обещании. 6. Надо ли ей покупать такую массу продуктов? 7. Она может не ходить в библиотеку: я дам ей книгу. 8. Вы могли и не брать зонт: я уверен, что дождя не будет.
Упр. 487. Вставьте модальные глаголы may, must или need.
1.... we hand in our compositions tomorrow? — No, you ... not, you ... hand them in after Sunday. 2. ... John really do this today? — No, he ... not, he ... do it tomorrow if he likes. 3. You ... not let this cup fall: it ... break. 4. ... I help you with your coat on? 5. ... I take this book for a little while? — I am sorry, but I ... return it to the library at once. 6. Alec ... practise this sound specially, but the other pupils ... not: they all pronounce it properly. 7. They ... come at any time they like between ten and twelve in the morning, but they ... not come if they don't want to. 8. ... I go there right now? — Yes, you ....
Упр. 488. Вставьте модальные глаголы can, may, must или need.
1. I ... not go out today: it is too cold. 2. ... I take your pen? — Yes, please. 3. We ... not carry the bookcase upstairs: it is too heavy. 4. We ... not carry the bookcase upstairs ourselves: the workers will come and do it. 5. When ... you come to see us? — I ... come only on Sunday. 6. Shall I write a letter to him? — No, you ... not, it is not necessary. 7. ... you cut something without a knife? 8. Peter ... return the book to the library. We all want to read it. 9. Why ... not you understand it?
it is so easy. 10. ... we do the exercise at once? Yes, you do it at once. 11. ... you pronounce this sound? 12. You ... not have bought this meat-we have everything for dinner.
MUST — MAY — MIGHT — CAN'T
в значении предположения
MUST— должно быть
MAY - может быть
MIGHT— может быть (но маловероятно)
CAN'T — не может быть
Упр. 489. Произнесите вслух все возможные предложения, используя приведенные подстановочные таблицы. (Упражнение на выработку автоматизма речи)